Please click on the job title below to view the full description.
Job Title: Garden Coordinator
Reports To: NET Manager
Status: Part time (average 15 hours/week)
The FoodBank is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to alleviate hunger and build food security in Monmouth and Ocean Counties. The FBMOC team is dedicated to building community awareness and creating an efficient food distribution network to eliminate hunger. We are committed to embodying the FBMOC’S values in all activities and relationships are based on collaboration and respect.
This position is responsible for coordinating the FoodBank’s organic garden activities, and create partnership-building projects through Monmouth and Ocean County. Some travel may be required.
- Experience in and knowledge of vegetable production and local food systems.
- Experience with organic gardening practices required.
- Experience in garden education and project planning a plus.
- Experience in collaborating with other organizations to create useful partnerships.
- Networking experience and ability to work with diverse populations.
- Experience in coordinating and managing volunteers of all ages.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation is required for occasional work at other locations.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
Garden Coordinator Responsibilities:
- Recruit, train, and manage volunteers in coordination with the Community Engagement Coordinator.
- Foster dialogue with community agencies and other garden education organizations, to host workshops and advance educational opportunities for low income community members.
- Work with FoodBank Network of programs to provide guidance and advice, assist with start-up of gardens to improve individual produce distribution.
- Promote Plant-a-Row campaign to increase garden produce donations throughout Monmouth and Ocean Counties.
- Conduct outreach and marketing to support garden initiatives in coordination with Marketing and Media Coordinator.
- Coordinate harvesting of garden produce to ensure timely and targeted distribution to programs.
- Monitors adherence to established FoodBank, USDA, and Feeding America, OSHA, and AIB procedures to ensure safety and sanitation measures are followed.
- Takes inventory and assures accuracy for supplies and equipment.
- Ensures all staff and volunteers are well trained and follow safety, basic food handling, salvage evaluation/sorting and FoodBank procedures as appropriate.
- Works with NET Manager to plan and manage operating and capital budget; obtains approval for expenditures for purchases, maintenance of equipment/facility, and contracts in accordance with established guidelines; may negotiate prices with vendors; identifies ways of reducing expenses and improving efficiency.
- Garden/Farm environment; extensive walking, standing, bending, stooping, kneeling, pushing, pulling, lifting and carrying items weighing in excess of 50 pounds, farm and other material handling equipment.
- Regularly exposed to outside weather conditions, cold and vibrations.
- Regular contact with volunteers.
- Periodically works extended hours and weekends.
Planning & Organizing
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to monitor/control own schedule in order to complete assignments on time and respond to sudden/urgent requests.
- Ability to work independently and prioritize workload to handle multiple tasks and responsibilities.
- Expresses ideas effectively and professionally adjusting language to the needs of the audience.
- Strong and effective communication skills.
- Communicates information in a timely manner.
- Ability to interact with people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, and personalities.
- Ability to collaborate and work as part of a team, sharing and accepting work as necessary.
- Collaborates with staff and other departments as needed.
- Performs other assignments as required.
Qualified candidates should submit their cover letter, resume, and salary
email@example.com, prior to July 25, 2016 by Noon