The FoodBank of Monmouth and Ocean Counties
Job Title: Warehouse Supervisor
Reports To: Senior Operations Supervisor
The FoodBank’s team is dedicated to building community awareness and creating an efficient emergency food distribution network to eliminate hunger. Staff is committed to embodying the FoodBank’s values in all activities.
The warehouse supervisor oversees the day-to-day activities of the FoodBank’s operation and leads the warehouse team to ensure the completion of day-to-day tasks and their accuracy. This position provides direct management for collection, storage and distribution of product through the Foodbank to member agencies. This includes supervision of staff and volunteers, maintenance, cleanliness, security and safety of the facility and equipment.
As a functional warehouse supervisor, the warehouse supervisor will also participate in the daily work activities (when required) as well as supervising.
The following provides a more detailed overview of job requirements.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintains accuracy in inventory by ensuring that all staff follows accurate inventory control procedures.
- Directs and participates in the daily activities involved in the efficient movement of product including accurate receipting, verification, handling, storage and distribution; maximizing space/resources and avoiding waste or damages. Ensures product safety and integrity.
- Schedules and oversees the completion of regular month end physical inventories to verify product levels and track/reduce losses.
- Perform required weekly spot checks to ensure inventory accuracy.
- Establishes appropriate labeling and signage procedures to properly store and locate product and supervises staff to maintain procedures.
- Implements procedures and controls for safe and efficient movement and preservation of product in the Foodbank;
- Sets-up and monitors system for checking accuracy of orders pulled and readied for distribution.
- Monitors adherence to established FoodBank, USDA and Feeding America, OSHA and AIB procedures to ensure safety and sanitation measures are followed and inventory accuracy is maintained; Ensures all staff and volunteers are well trained and follow safety, basic food handling, menu planning, salvage evaluation/sorting and FoodBank procedures as appropriate.
- Works with Warehouse staff to ensure thorough understanding of procedures and impact on the organization as well as individual performance; retrain or take necessary corrective action as necessary.
- Complete daily walk through and lead warehouse team to ensure completion of Weekly Maintenance and Cleaning Schedule.
- Lead warehouse team to ensure daily work plan is complete and accurate.
- Lead warehouse team to ensure maximum efficiency of space, organization and cleanliness.
- Regularly evaluate and assess employee work schedules and delivery routes for efficiency.
- Must be familiar with DOT regulations.
- Assist in the evaluation of performance of warehouse staff.
- Evaluate the safety practices of staff and visitors developing and implementing practices that will ensure the long-term safety of the FoodBank’s operation.
- Assist Senior Operations Supervisor in evaluating program performance.
- Regularly monitor program activities to ensure operation efficiency and best method of program delivery.
- Confers with Senior Operations supervisor to coordinate warehouse activities with other operation activities such as receiving, driver scheduling, records control, and volunteer scheduling to avoid conflicts and maximize efficiency.
- Maintains up to date knowledge of warehouse management in order to implement innovate ways to improve and maximize efficiency.
- Directs the activities or warehouse staff and volunteers including safe and efficient operation of equipment, refrigeration and waste management; conducts facility and equipment inspections to ensure equipment and facility are operational; identified opportunities for improvements to reduce waste, prepares work orders for repairs or replacement equipment, works with Senior Operations Supervisor to schedule and oversee repairs or replacement equipment, works with Senior Operations Supervisor to schedule and oversee repairs to ensure compliance to work orders.
- Conducts daily inspections for freezer/refrigeration levels, security, safety, pest control and cleanliness, completes procedural checklist or logs to monitor activity, avoid or identify problems. Reports problems and remedial actions to Senior Operations Supervisor.
- Ensures daily vehicle inspections are performed for safety, damage, required repairs or maintenance; ensures drivers are properly trained in operation of vehicles and maintain vehicles in good working order.
- Works with Senior Operations Supervisor to manage established budget; obtains approval for expenditures for purchases, maintenance of equipment/facility/vehicles, and contracts in accordance with established guidelines; may negotiate prices with vendors; identifies ways of reducing expenses and improving efficiency.
- Builds sound relationships with community agencies, Health Department, EPA, OSHA, Fire Department, USDA and Feeding America representatives to ensure community needs and compliance requirements are met. Works with staff to ensure professionalism of contact with agency and community is maintained.
- Hires, trains, delegates, motivates and retains a competent warehouse and operations staff, committed to the mission and values of the Foodbank. Coaches and develops staff to maximize performance.
Supervisory Role: Responsible for effective collaboration with Foodbank staff and management of external volunteers and contractors. Directly supervises: Drivers and Warehouse staff. Must be high energy, self-motivated as well as a self-starter.
Minimum 2 year college degree required. At least 5 years Warehouse experience preferably in a food bank or food related industry with supervisory experience; valid NJ driver’s license and ability to drive forklift; and demonstrated commitment to the Foodbank’s values and mission are essential. CDL desirable. Six Sigma black or green belt certification helpful. Knowledge of AIB standards helpful. High level of knowledge in Microsoft Office including, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
Thoroughly knowledgeable in warehouse operations, and good leadership skills are necessary. Strong communication and the ability to effectively deal and build collaborative relationships with agency personnel, volunteers, contractors, community and government representatives to achieve the Foodbank’s goals. Knowledge of safety and regulatory compliance issues, strong organizational skills and attention to detail required. Must be creative problem-solver with good organizational, anticipatory management skills, able to handle multiple priorities and effectively work with a diverse staff. A high level of personal and professional integrity is essential.
Must acquire Serve Safe certification within the first 3 months of hire date. Must have complete understanding of FoodBank CERES system within first month of hire date. Must acquire HACCP certification within first 6 months of hire date.
Work is value, goal and deadline oriented; extensive external contact; frequent extended hours, Warehouse environment; extensive standing, bending, lifting and carrying items weighing up to 100 pounds, operates forklift and drives trucks.
Interested candidates should send resumes and cover letters to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The FoodBank of Monmouth and Ocean Counties is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on age, gender, race, ethnic origin, religion, veteran status, physical or mental condition, political affiliations or sexual orientation.