Free Tax Assistance & E-File

Free Tax Assistance & E-File

Working families may get a larger tax refund because of the Earned Income Tax Credit, but to get it, you must claim it. The FoodBank’s IRS-trained and certified tax preparers can determine if you are eligible to claim EITC and other tax benefits. They will prepare your tax return and e-file it for free.

Who is eligible for this free service? Households with up to 3 dependents who earn $52,000 a year or less (households with more dependents, add $10,000 for each additional dependent). Single filers earning $30,000 or less are also eligible.

On average, EITC adds $2,300 to working families’ refunds. It can mean an additional $487 for people without children up to $6,044 for those with three or more qualifying children. Last year, more than 27 million workers received $67 billion in EITC refunds.

Free tax help is available through April 15 at the following locations:

Monmouth County

FoodBank of Monmouth & Ocean Counties, 3300 Route 66, Neptune

Tuesdays 12:30 -4:30pm (appointments only)

Long Branch Public Library, 328 Broadway, Long Branch

Tuesday/Thursday 12 – 4pm, Friday 12 -4pm., Saturday 11a.m.-3pm

SCAN Adult Education Center, Monmouth Mall, Eatontown

Wednesday 1 – 7pm

Union Beach Borough Hall, 650 Poole Ave., Union Beach,

Tuesday/Thursday 1 – 7pm

Ocean County

Lakewood Municipal Building, 231 Third Street, Lakewood

Monday/Wednesday 2-6pm.

Lakewood Public Library, 301 Lexington Ave., Lakewood

Thursday 2 -6 pm, Saturday 10am-3pm

Ocean County Connection, Ocean County Mall, Toms River,

Monday/Thursday 4-8pm, Saturday 10:30am-3:30pm

Toms River Public Library, 101 Washington St., Toms River

Tuesday 1-6pm, Saturday 10:30 -3pm.

Filers should come prepared to a volunteer site with the following:

  • A valid driver’s license or other photo id card
  • Social security cards, a Social Security number (SSN) verification letter or the Individual Taxpayer Identifying Number (ITIN) for all persons listed on the return
  • Birth dates for all persons listed on return
  • All income statements: Forms W-2 and 1099, Social Security, unemployment, and other statements, such as pensions, stocks, interest and any documents showing taxes withheld
  • All records of expenses, such as tuition, mortgage interest, or real estate taxes
  • Copies of last year’s state and federal tax returns, if available
  • Bank routing numbers and account numbers to direct deposit any refund
  • Dependent child care information: name and address of who you paid and either the caretaker’s SSN or other tax identification number
  • Both spouses to sign forms to e-file (electronically file) a joint tax return

For more information, call The FoodBank, 732-918-2600 or visit

Comments are closed.