Working families may get a larger tax refund because of the Earned Income Tax Credit, but to get it, you must claim it. The FoodBank’s IRS-trained and certified tax preparers can determine if you are eligible to claim EITC and other tax benefits. They will prepare your tax return and e-file it for free.
Who is eligible for this free service? Households with up to 3 dependents who earn $52,000 a year or less (households with more dependents, add $10,000 for each additional dependent). Single filers earning $30,000 or less are also eligible.
On average, EITC adds $2,300 to working families’ refunds. It can mean an additional $487 for people without children up to $6,044 for those with three or more qualifying children. Last year, more than 27 million workers received $67 billion in EITC refunds.
Free tax help is available through April 15 at the following locations:
FoodBank of Monmouth & Ocean Counties, 3300 Route 66, Neptune
Tuesdays 12:30 -4:30pm (appointments only)
Long Branch Public Library, 328 Broadway, Long Branch
Tuesday/Thursday 12 – 4pm, Friday 12 -4pm., Saturday 11a.m.-3pm
SCAN Adult Education Center, Monmouth Mall, Eatontown
Wednesday 1 – 7pm
Union Beach Borough Hall, 650 Poole Ave., Union Beach,
Tuesday/Thursday 1 – 7pm
Lakewood Municipal Building, 231 Third Street, Lakewood
Lakewood Public Library, 301 Lexington Ave., Lakewood
Thursday 2 -6 pm, Saturday 10am-3pm
Ocean County Connection, Ocean County Mall, Toms River,
Monday/Thursday 4-8pm, Saturday 10:30am-3:30pm
Toms River Public Library, 101 Washington St., Toms River
Tuesday 1-6pm, Saturday 10:30 -3pm.
Filers should come prepared to a volunteer site with the following:
- A valid driver’s license or other photo id card
- Social security cards, a Social Security number (SSN) verification letter or the Individual Taxpayer Identifying Number (ITIN) for all persons listed on the return
- Birth dates for all persons listed on return
- All income statements: Forms W-2 and 1099, Social Security, unemployment, and other statements, such as pensions, stocks, interest and any documents showing taxes withheld
- All records of expenses, such as tuition, mortgage interest, or real estate taxes
- Copies of last year’s state and federal tax returns, if available
- Bank routing numbers and account numbers to direct deposit any refund
- Dependent child care information: name and address of who you paid and either the caretaker’s SSN or other tax identification number
- Both spouses to sign forms to e-file (electronically file) a joint tax return
For more information, call The FoodBank, 732-918-2600 or visit www.foodbankmoc.org.